1.15.2014

The Grossest Thing I've Experienced in Parenting (To Date)

So, I fancy myself to be pretty stoic when it comes to gross stuff. Blood? Doesn't faze me. Vomit? Don't make me laugh! We've seen a lot parenting three boys (although, no broken bones so far *knock on wood*), so I didn't think there would be anything that would completely unhinge me.

Until now.

A couple of weeks after Hallie was born I packed all the kids in the car to take Kyle to school. When we got back home I took Matthew and Hallie inside then headed back outside to help Lucas jump out of the van. When he hit the ground he instantly started crying and I couldn't figure out why. I thought maybe he had landed on part of his feet too hard and was feeling a little jarred, so I helped him hobble inside. I thought his reaction was a little extreme for what I perceived to be a minor injury; plus, he has a horrible habit of saying "I don't know" when you ask him what's wrong. So, I found myself getting a little frustrated with him. I pulled him on to my lap to take a look at the foot that was bothering him. I noticed there was something sticking out of the bottom of his sock so I figured he just had something stuck in the bottom of his foot. But, when I tried to remove it, it didn't budge. I took his sock off to get a closer look and got the shock of my life:

It was a toothpick.

And it went ALL THE WAY THROUGH HIS FOOT.

(I'm shuddering just thinking about it, and it was nearly two months ago!)

I pretty much lost it in the most composed way possible. Lucas was still hysterical, so I couldn't totally freak out because I didn't want to scare him even more, but I was a total basket case. It was like I didn't know what to do. I knew we needed to go to the Instacare, but my two-week-old baby wasn't dressed and needed to eat. The boys were dressed, but they needed shoes and coats. Heck, I needed shoes and a coat! How was I going to handle a brand new baby, a hysterical preschooler, and a perpetually naughty toddler all by myself? I tried to call my sister-in-law to watch Matthew, but she didn't answer her phone (not surprising, since she had a brand new baby and toddler of her own) so after I stopped running around like a headless chicken (SERIOUSLY, that's what I looked like) I packed the kids back in the car and drove to the Instacare. I called Cole on the way and said something like, "Hi Honey, no big deal, but Lucas has a toothpick through his foot so we're on our way to the Instacare." He understandably freaked and borrowed his mom's car to meet us there.

I arrived about 5 minutes before Cole did, and even though he told me to wait until he got there to go inside I got tired of the people in the parking lot looking at me like I was a horrible parent (ya know, since I had a screaming child and I didn't appear to be doing anything to soothe him). But, how was I going to get three kids, all of whom needed assistance, inside by myself? I ran Lucas inside and set him on a chair in the waiting area, then booked it outside for the other two. When I got back inside one of the receptionists was talking to Lucas and trying to calm him down. She asked me why we were there, I held out his foot, and she went "OH." We got checked in pretty fast after that.

This still makes me want to vomit.
Cole arrived shortly after that, and it's a good thing. The combination of his calming presence and a popsicle from the nurses was the ticket to calming Lucas down. When they called his name, Cole went back with him and I sat in the waiting room with the two little ones. Matthew, of course, was his typical naughty self, but Hallie was a little angel. I was finally able to feed her, as much for my relief as for hers.

Cole said Lucas didn't even flinch when they pulled the toothpick out, but he lost it again when they stuck his foot in water to clean it out. They wrapped it up with gauze and red tape, gave him some pain reliever, and sent us on our way. Lucas babied his foot  for the first 15 minutes and then walked around on it like nothing happened. We took the bandage off the next day and could barely see where it happened.

Now, if you're like us, you're wondering, "Where in the holy crap did the toothpick come from?" The best we can figure is it was on the floor of the van, it got stuck in his sock and got jammed in his foot *shudder* when he jumped out of the van. Why were there toothpicks on the floor of the van? Well, Cole took toothpicks to work around Halloween to decorate a pumpkin for a contest they were having at work. The boys found the container and spread them out all over the van and apparently I'm horrible at cleaning up my car.

Fortunately, kids are resilient. Lucas doesn't even remember what happened. Unfortunately, I can't seem to scrape the horrible image out of my brain.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

ew ew ew ew!!! umm....at least there wasn't a lot of blood? glad it's over-and he won't remember it, lol.

Trisha said...

That exact same thing happened to my brother when we were kids. I waited outside in the van while my mom took him into the doctor and I could still hear him screaming as they removed the toothpick .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...