1.31.2014

Sunday Snuggles and Not a Candy Eater

With the new year came the switch back to 9:00 AM church on Sundays. I'm a huge fan of this time because my kids are nappers and 9:00 church makes afternoon naps possible...which means I get a nap myself. :)
 
But, some days, my snuggle buddy is too beautiful and it's too easy to stare at her instead of sleep myself.

Just try to stop staring at her face. I dare you.
 I did eventually move her to her crib, but she quickly inherited another snuggle buddy.

 
Matthew loves Hallie...sometimes a little too much. I have to watch her carefully when I lay her on the floor for tummy time, because his version of "snuggling" quite often means sitting or laying on top of her. He does like to share his blanket with her...but that means putting it over her face which freaks her out a bit. He loves to talk to her...but he usually gets so excited that it ends up being more like yelling. It makes me happy to know that he loves his sister; I guess we just have to have a few more lessons in being soft.
 
We have a cupboard above the oven that has turned into the hiding spot for any food/treats we don't want the kids to get into without asking. It's such a good hiding spot that at times even Cole and I forget what we have stashed up there. So, the other day I climbed up on a stool to see what was still kicking around up there and figure out what was worth keeping and what needed to be tossed.
 
I knew we still had a bag of Halloween candy, but I was pretty surprised when I pulled it out and discovered this:
 
 
You'll notice there is a significant amount of chocolate left. Any parent knows that there is a Halloween candy hierarchy, and the top spot is always chocolate candy bars--they always get eaten first and in a hurry. Usually by early January you have Smarties, Dum-Dum suckers, the nasty hard candy that you always get from one of the old ladies on the block, and, if you're lucky, a few lurking Tootsie Rolls that can satisfy your chocolate craving if you're desperate enough.
 
Apparently I haven't had a lot of chocolate cravings lately.
 
To be honest, I'm more of a salt-craving girl. I can be satisfied after only 1 or 2 pieces of chocolate, but I can eat my weight in French fries or chips and not even flinch...well, until I realize I just ate my weight in junk food.
 
One of my friends on IG made me realize why I still had so much chocolate. You see, as long as I have it in my house, I don't want it. For example: I have several half-gallons of ice cream kicking around in my freezer, but the second that ice cream is gone I get an insatiable desire for it. Ice cream becomes the only thing I think about. It must be the same thing with chocolate.
 
I'm not usually a New Years resolutions maker. In fact, I'm pretty unmotivated, period. I was never very athletic or even physically active when I was younger; I took for granted that I was thin and had a kickin' metabolism. Well, 4 kids and 10 years later I'm neither thin nor do I have the metabolism of my youth, and I don't have any fitness habits in place to help me out. I decided I needed to make changes in my lifestyle, because I am entirely too sedentary. I didn't want to restrict my caloric intake too much because I'm breastfeeding (I did Weight Watchers while nursing Matthew, and even though I followed their directions for nursing moms I'm pretty sure I wasn't consuming enough calories to make enough milk for him to thrive...so I'm hyper-sensitive about that this time around). So, that left exercising. I have never been a huge fan of working out; I never seemed to get the endorphin rush that so many people talk about. I just get sweaty and out of breath and red-faced and uncomfortable. Plus, I'm never really sure exactly what to do, and I don't want to pay buckets of money for DVDs/gym memberships/programs that I'll inevitably give up on after only a few weeks.
 
That all changed with one "share" on FB. One of my friends shared the page called "Bikini Body Mommy." When I looked at the page, I instantly liked what I saw. It's a program created by a mom of three who used a specific set of workouts to lose 100 pounds after the birth of her third child. She was starting up a 90-day challenge of the same workouts at the beginning of January to lose some pregnancy weight (after having a miscarriage). She posts workout videos on YouTube every day for 90 days and the best part is, she is transforming her body right along with her viewers. There was something so raw and honest about her that really spoke to me. I've always felt annoyed when watching trainers and already "fit" people in exercise videos, because they don't look anything like me. They don't look like they're going to pass out if they have to do one more crunch or lunge or squat, and it's so discouraging. This woman is just the opposite. She lets her viewers see when she's struggling and she admits when she's sore and tired. Because she's so relatable I've actually been inspired to exercise every day. It's becoming part of my daily routine. I was SO annoyed when I had to take a week off to let my toe heal, and I'm getting to the point where I crave the sweaty, tired, sore feeling. I can't say that I've ever felt that before. I'm not really looking to lose weight at this point; I just want to establish a habit and make my body stronger so it'll be easier to lose weight when that becomes my focus. I'm three weeks into the 90-day challenge (one week behind because of my broken toe) and I'm loving every bit of it.
 
The kids are pretty fascinated by the whole exercise thing. One of the days I was running the basement stairs as part of a HIIT cardio workout while they were eating their lunch, and they would laugh and yell in excitement every time they saw me at the top of the stairs. I started making faces at them to make them laugh harder and I forgot how tired I was and how sore my legs were. They got down from the counter and started running the stairs with me. When I switched to jumping jacks they followed me and did some jumping jacks of their own. It was striking to me how much my behavior shapes theirs. I'm happy that I'm starting to be a good example to them.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...