4.17.2013

On the Oregon Trail

For those who didn't know, my parents moved to Eugene, OR just over a year ago. We've definitely missed having them so close to us...especially when my mom told us she needed to have a pretty major surgery. As soon as we found out, we made arrangements for my sister and I to spend a week each up there helping my mom as she recovered. I planned to be there from 3/15 to 3/22, and Stephanie planned to come the following week.

**AS A SIDE NOTE: I just want to give a HUGE shout-out to Cole for making it possible for me to go. He managed to balance taking care of the boys and the house and getting all his work done for the week while I was gone. Thanks also to my mother-in-law, Diane, for stepping in and helping where she could.**

I decided to take Matthew with me because he was still *kind of* nursing and was still fairly attached to me. Plus, I knew his silly personality would help cheer my mom up, since she wasn't really looking forward to having weeks of down time. We decided it would work out best if I took an evening flight--Cole wouldn't have to leave work early to get me to the airport, and there was a greater chance that Matthew would fall asleep for part of the flight.

In spite of the fact that I am a serial procrastinator, we made it to the airport in plenty of time to catch my flight. We got my bag and the car seat checked easily, said our goodbyes, and I hopped in the security line. Kyle was really distressed about my leaving, which surprised me. I expected Lucas to have a harder time (he's been going through a "Mommy's boy" phase)--but, Lucas was distracted by Netflix on Cole's phone (ah, the joys of smartphones!) so I don't think he really noticed. Cole and the big boys rode the escalators to the second floor and watched until Matthew and I made it through security before heading home.

After getting through security (which was easier than I thought it was going to be with Matthew in tow) we headed toward our gate, which was ALL THE WAY AT THE END OF THE TERMINAL. Seriously, I felt like I walked halfway to Oregon. We got there with about 15 minutes to spare before they started boarding.

My travel buddy
The flight wasn't anywhere close to full, so Matthew and I had a full row of seats to ourselves. We made ourselves comfortable and got ready for take-off.


He was really well-behaved on the flight, which was a relief. I worry way too much, so I expected him to be the screaming child that all the other passengers tell horror stories about to their friends and family. The flight was less than 2 hours, and about halfway through I put his pajamas on, nursed him a little bit, and rocked him to sleep. He slept through landing and de-planing, but stirred a little when I put him in the stroller. We had many gracious people offer to help--honestly, I was a little surprised at how genuine and thoughtful people were on both of our flights. I guess I expected more stereotypical, self-absorbed travelers. We met my dad at baggage claim, hopped in the car, and started the 3-hour trip to Eugene (I flew to Portland because it was cheaper and easier to find desirable flight times).

Matthew promptly fell asleep in the car, and I enjoyed a nice chat with my dad. We got to their house late that evening, and my mom was still awake. I said hello and we talked for a minute before we all headed to bed.

Matthew wasn't at his best, sleep-wise, on this trip (not that I blame him), so he ended up in bed with me quite often--and he's not a good snuggler. Add to that his stubborn adherence to his "7:30 AM Utah time" wake-up call and my tendency to stay up late with my parents and you get a not-extremely-restful trip for me. But, there was plenty of rest time during the day. I think my mom and I took "movie naps" every day (in my family, that means you put on a movie knowing full well you'll fall asleep instead of watching it).

taking up all the space in my bed...
Saturday evening my parents took us on a little tour of Eugene. It was pretty interesting, because they lived in Eugene 28 years ago when I was born and they had lots of fun stories.

Matthew and me on top of Skinner's Butte
Autzen Stadium, home of the U of O Ducks, as seen from Skinner's Butte

Sacred Heart Hospital, where I was born
Sunday my dad, Matthew, and I headed to church. It was fun to put faces to the names I'd heard so many times from my parents, and it was a welcome change to be able to attend Sunday School and Relief Society (but I admit, I did miss Primary a little bit). I think the thing I enjoyed the most was seeing how much the people of their ward truly love and care for my parents. It is such a comfort for me to know that even though they aren't near us they are still surrounded by good people who will take care of them when we can't.

In the next post: our trip to the Oregon coast.

1 comment:

Mrs. Jaybird said...

I love the Oregon coast! I hope to go again some day. You're a good daughter to help your mom out. I hope she is well and that all is okay.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...