11.28.2011

Gobble 'til You Wobble

I've been thinking lately that Thanksgiving is a totally underrated holiday. Lots of yummy food, lots of fun family time (or fighting, as the case may be), no pressure to buy gifts or decorate excessively...plus, who doesn't need a specific day to think about all of the things with which we are blessed?

Anyway, our Thanksgiving this year was great! We spent the day at Cole's parents' house, who started out bright and early with breakfast, Christensen-style (aka cereal, donuts, and chocolate milk*).

*FYI, the Christensen men PROBABLY corner the market on grown adults who still enjoy cereal with cartoon characters on the box, and many of us wives have picked up the habit as well--my sister-in-law posted this facebook status a little while ago:

Order in which we spend our money:
1. Rent
2. Cereal
3. Gas

:)


But I digress...

After breakfast, we relaxed, played games, and enjoyed one another's company. My nieces and I made these little babies:

Oreo Turkeys! Instructions found here
We sat down to dinner around 3. Everything tasted WONDERFUL. Since we were all assigned a part of the meal, it seemed extra special. We all ate until we were about to explode, and then some of us (read: me) ate a little bit more. Then came the best part of Thanksgiving: the women sat and relaxed while the MEN DID THE DISHES. :)

A few games and several hours later, we busted out the pies. This was MY assignment for Thanksgiving, and I may or may not have gone a little overboard. Even though there were only 8 adults and 8 children (4 of which are under the age of 2), I made 6 pies: 2 pumpkin, chocolate buttercream, coconut cream, banana cream, and Dutch apple. I wish I would have gotten pictures, because (if I do say so myself) every pie was rather spectacular. Besides 4 of the crusts (which I bought--I'm not quite up to making crusts myself!) I made everything from scratch, and I'm incredibly proud of that fact. You see, I have this inherent (insane) desire to overachieve when I'm cooking for others, so instead of taking the easier, faster route (which, I have to admit, is usually my MO for cooking) I have to do everything the hard way. So, it took me 7 hours on Wednesday, but I made 6 fantastic pies. Too bad we were all too full to enjoy very much of them...

After dropping by my parents' house and leaving some pie with them, I came home with an entire pumpkin pie, half of a banana cream pie, and about a third each of coconut cream, chocolate, and Dutch apple. Guess I'll be having a lot of pie in the next little while. :)

My mom also helped my boys make turkeys out of apples, which turned out really cute:


All in all, we had a fantastic Thanksgiving! We are so thankful for each other, for our health and strength, for our family, and for the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are so blessed, and we're grateful for the opportunity we had to think about all of those blessings this past month.

1 comment:

Mrs. Jaybird said...

I always felt like Thanksgiving was Christmas minus a few elements. I am of the thought that the two should be more like the other in tthe amount of time you spend family-ing. I love Thanksgiving!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...