11.23.2011

Breaking Dawn: Part I

I'm not a Twilight fanatic by any stretch of the imagination. Sure, I’ve read the books, I’ve seen the movies, but honestly, I’d prefer reading Wheel of Time any day. However, I had a strange desire to see the 4th movie, Breaking Dawn: Part I. My sister and one of her friends have made a tradition of seeing all of the movies at midnight the day they come out, so I decided I wanted to tag along. We invited my sister-in-law, Brittany, and decided to make it a girls’ night.
I was surprisingly stoked about the whole thing. Usually I’d avoid scenes of excessive Twilight fangirl-ism for many reasons. Maybe it was the promise of a night out with my sisters—away from kids and cleaning and responsibility—that was so appealing. Maybe I didn’t think my quota for ridiculous, screaming girls was quite full enough. Whatever the reason, I anxiously awaited Thursday night and my temporary Twilight fanaticism.

We got to the theater in enough time to find a good parking space but not so early that we’d have to sit and wait surrounded by all of the crazies.

Our coveted (or maybe not) tickets
After we picked up our tickets and followed the swelling crowds toward concessions, we passed a display that got my (temporary) inner Twihard hot and bothered:


They ACTUALLY wore these clothes in the movie! *SWOON*
After snapping a few pictures and garnering several strange looks (because OBVIOUSLY I was the strangest person there) we entered the mile-long queue that was the concessions line. The only way I was going to make it through the movie was with a turbo-sized tub of popcorn and a gut busting Diet Coke. At the front of the line, I made the impromptu decision to buy this little baby:

It's like two Kit Kats in one! Jackpot!
After loading up on sustenance (read: crap) we searched for a place to sit down and wait out the 40 minutes until our movie started. Brittany and I dashed away for a minute to take pictures next to the movie poster:


Note my burgeoning belly
As we waited, we speculated about the logistics of portraying Bella’s pregnancy and hellish delivery of her “demon spawn,” which prompted me to take a picture of my own gestating spawn:

Again, the belly
FINALLY the time came for us to take our seats. As the theater darkened and the screen flashed to life, I found out exactly why I paid nearly $10 to see this movie:

I may or may not have teared up during this preview because I'm SO excited!
I almost considered getting up and leaving, because seeing that trailer on the big screen was TOTALLY worth my money. But, I would have had to wait for the other girls, so I sat back and prepared for the worst.

I can’t say that I had high expectations for this movie. All of the previous Twilight movies were overhyped and underwhelming. However, I only found myself laughing at a few of the “serious” parts and cringing only half as much as I expected. I can honestly say it’s the best movie of the series. Of course, it was probably so enjoyable because I was surrounded by some of my closest friends, we were saturated with caffeine and artificial butter flavoring, and it was after midnight. But, whatever the reason, we had a most excellent time and are already planning a girls’ night for the release of the final movie (a year from now).

Maybe by then we’ll have worked ourselves up to dressing up for the occasion (NOT LIKELY).

2 comments:

Melinda said...

I've never been one to get excited about a movie or look forward to the day one is released. However, watching the trailer for the hunger games made me want to be one of those crazies who wait in line to see a movie at midnight on the day of its release. CAN'T. WAIT

Stephanie said...

OK. Best post ever. HIlarious. I feel like I experienced the night all.over.again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...