5.16.2011

Monday's Memory: First Kisses


I've spent a lot of days lately marveling at how fast time flies (all of you who are more mature than I will laugh at this because, let's face it, 26 isn't exactly over the hill).  Yesterday, I realized that it's been 10 years since I got my first ever kiss.  After shaking my head in amazement at how long ago that was and, really, how NOT long ago that was, I spent a little time reminiscing about the 5 "first" kisses of my life.  All names (except for Cole's) have been changed to protect the innocent, and, also, because it's just so weird to think that I kissed guys other than Cole and changing their names makes it seem less awkward to think about (although, those of you who know me best know who they are, so it's not like it's secret).  So, without further ado, I begin:

First Kiss #1:  I was 16 years old, and it was the summer after my sophomore year in high school.  I was lucky enough to have snagged Topher as my first bona-fide boyfriend.  He was pretty much the cream of the crop in my social circle, and most, if not all, of my friends admitted to harboring a secret crush on him at some point during our high school careers.  Anyway, we had been dating for 4 weeks, and, as cheesy new relationship rules dictate, we went out for an "anniversary" date.  To this point, Topher had kissed me several times: on the cheek, the forehead, the hand...you get the idea.  Honestly, I was both annoyed and enchanted about this: enchanted because it showed he wasn't just trying to put the moves on me, but annoyed because COME ON!  I waited 16 years to date and have a boyfriend, so it was about dang time that he kissed me!  That night, I got my wish.  It was the stereotypical "kiss at the end of the date on the front porch" scenario.  Sweet, appropriate, and very cliche.

Topher: as in "Topher Grace"--nerdy, kind of boyish, but with an inexplicable charm that no woman can resist.


First Kiss #2:  I had just begun my sophomore year in college.  Topher (First Kiss #1) had been on the mish for about 5 months and I was pining and counting down until the time he'd get back.  Enter Kevin, one of the guys in my FHE group.  I found myself, for the first time in 3 1/2 years, feeling those first exciting feelings of crushdom.  Kevin and I started to spend a lot of time together and I found out he reciprocated my feelings.  Everything came to a head in the breezeway that separated the boys' apartments from the girls' apartments one night--Kevin laid a huge, wet one on me.  Now, even though I had only kissed one boy to that point, I was no slouch when it came to kissing, and I knew that this first kiss was slightly less-than-enjoyable.  Turns out I was the first girl he had ever kissed.  He even made a "VL Club" card to give to me, since I was the one to take his "Virgin Lips".  Cute, but very dorky.

Kevin: as in "Kevin James"--funny, sweet, awkward, but extremely dorky.


First Kiss #3:  It was May 2005.  I had been helping out in the store of some family friends off and on since Christmas, and Diane, the owner, just happened to have a son coming home from his mission.  The problem with this scenario?  I knew this guy.  We had essentially grown up together, and neither one of us had given the other a second glance in high school.  In fact, my friends and I secretly called him "Franken-Cole" because his haircut gave his head an oddly square quality and because he kind of clomped down the hallways at school.  He said his fair share of things about me in high school as well--none were extremely complimentary.  Needless to say, I was extremely uninterested in being hooked up with Cole.  But, Diane just kept pushing, and by May, when Cole got home, I was at least a little intrigued.  Cole, of course, helped his parents out in their store, so we had several brief and awkward interactions that only increased my interest in him.  One day, he came into the store while I was working and asked me out.  He was so awkward and nervous--it was adorable.  We went out and had great chemistry the entire time.  I could tell that something magic was happening, and I knew that if he wanted to kiss me at the end of the night that I'd let him.  We got to my front door (yes, another cliche front porch scene) and it happened.  One word: FIREWORKS.

First Kiss #4: Cole and I dated for a tumultuous couple of months, and ended things rather amicably with a mutual break-up.  The months that followed that break-up were less than positive.  He rather quickly (if you ask me) found another girlfriend, and tensions between Cole and I were high.  Things between us were chilly at best and downright hostile at times.  Even though I was still in love with him, I had completely given up hope that anything was ever going to work out for us.  Then, in January, he moved to Provo to start school.  I "ran into" him in the mall where we both worked, and he (having ditched his heinous girlfriend several weeks prior) asked for my phone number so we could hang out.  I gave it to him, and he texted me that night.  We went out on what we now call our "second first date" and had a marvelous time.  Over the next 3 days, we spent every waking moment possible together, and we decided we wanted to give our relationship another try--but on a slower scale than before.  That lasted about five minutes.  We were sitting on the couch in my apartment, talking, and it was like no force in the universe could keep us apart.  The fireworks from our first kiss paled in comparison to our earth-shattering "second first kiss."

First Kiss #5: June 30, 2006.  We knelt across the altar in the Salt Lake Temple from one another.  We had just finished making sacred covenants and promises to one another, and our sealer had just pronounced us married for time and all eternity.  In front of our family and friends, we kissed for the first time as man and wife--the first kiss of the rest of my life.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...