4.16.2011

Happy Birthday to Me!

So, yesterday was my birthday.  And it was AWESOME!

Honestly, I don't usually make a big deal of my birthdays.  Now that I have kids, my focus is pretty much always less on me and more on them.  I expected the day to be mostly like every other day of my life.  We did have plans to go to dinner with my parents and siblings in the evening, as is our tradition for birthdays.

So I was extra surprised when Cole climbed back into bed with me at 5:45 am--the time he's usually leaving for work.  He told me he took the day off for my birthday.  Needless to say, I was tickled, and we went back to sleep.

Two hours later, I woke up to my mother-in-law calling before she left for work.  She wished me "happy birthday" and then said, "I hope you do something fun today."  The phone call also woke Kyle up, and he jumped in between us on the bed.  "It's your birthday," he told me, and gave me a kiss on the cheek.  We started  chatting like we do in the mornings, and he was telling us about the time he went to the zoo with his Aunt Stephanie and his pretty-much-official-in-every-way-but-blood Aunt Megan (they watched him the day that we had Lucas).  This is pretty much his favorite story to tell, and it gave Cole an idea: why DON'T we take the kids and do something fun today?  The weather was great, we were all together, and it was my birthday--the perfect recipe for doing something fun.

After a quick breakfast, we threw ourselves together, packed a lunch, and headed off.  It must have been field trip day because the zoo was jam-packed with elementary school kids.  We had a great time, got a little sun, and thoroughly wore ourselves out.

That evening, we headed to Red Robin for dinner with my parents and siblings.  The food was good and the company was better!  We came back to our house for cake and ice cream and presents.

I made this cake for my birthday.  Image (and recipe!) courtesy of
http://www.tootsie.com/rec_grasshopper.php
My parents got me the greatest present.  You see, my dad gave my mom and sister Miche bags for Christmas, and I was SUPER jealous.  My mom told me, "Well, your birthday is in a few months; maybe you should ask for one."  So, I looked at the catalog they had and picked out what I'd want.  Then, I totally forgot about it...until I opened the box and saw my beautiful new purse!  They got me the big bag (perfect for carrying all of my crap and my kids' junk--no more need for a purse and diaper bag!), two beautiful shells (this one and this one), and some accessories.  I'm spoiled.

After cake and ice cream, we played the greatest game:


We were seriously peeing our pants laughing.

It was the greatest day.   

2 comments:

that's what she said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a fantastic time celebrating with your family. And I have to say, thanks to your rec. I just bought the game on Amazon. I'm excited to play it! :)

Devri said...

Happy Birthday! We were stuck in finishing up the semester mode and I totally forgot! I'm glad that you had a great doay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...