3.23.2011

Vaycay Extravaganza: The Last Days

So, I just realized that I never finished blogging about our stupendous vacation that happened...almost a year ago.

Turns out having a baby kind of makes you forget things.

So, even though you probably don't even remember what happened the other days and you probably don't even CARE anymore, I'm finishing up the trip recap--for posterity's sake.

Also, here are links to the rest of the posts, in case you want to read them for a refresher.

Vaycay Extravaganza: A Day of Travel
Vaycay Extravaganza: A Day of Rest
Vaycay Extravaganza: A Day of Chill
Vaycay Extravaganza: A Day of Tourist-ness
Vaycay Extravaganza: A Day of Nature

Thursday morning we woke up still a little worn out from all of the walking we did the day before at Brookgreen Gardens, so we decided to have a take-it-easy kind of day.  My dad suggested going to see Iron Man 2, since we had just finished watching the first Iron Man the night before.  We all thought this was a grand idea (especially since it was a rare thing for my dad to suggest us all going to a movie!).  We packed up and headed over to Broadway at the Beach, the "largest festival entertainment complex in SC!"  We got there and I soon realized we picked the wrong activity for the day:

MagiQuest: a LARPer's fondest dream
Sadly, we had all forgotten our magic wands, so we had to stick to the original plan.  Iron Man 2 was an excellent pick, and Kyle sat really well through the entire movie.  He then became obsessed with all things Iron Man.

After the movie, we headed back to the hotel to get in some more beach time.  It would be the last opportunity we'd have, because the next day we'd basically only have time to pack our bags, check out, and get to the airport for our flight.  We thoroughly enjoyed playing in the sand and burying one another...

      

Cole and I also ventured out into the ocean to play in the waves.  At first, I was a little afraid of getting hurt or overturned or swept away.  Plus, getting mouthful after mouthful of salt water isn't really what I call fun.  Cole finally convinced me, and I really enjoyed myself!  How else can you feel totally weightless when you're hugely pregnant?  We jumped through the big waves and laughed and enjoyed our last day at the beach.

After we'd had enough sand and sun, we headed back to the room to get ready for dinner.  It was Stephanie's birthday, and, as is our family tradition, we were going out for dinner.  She chose Planet Hollywood, since none of us had ever been there and it isn't something we had at home.  We headed back over to Broadway at the Beach, and I was tempted a second time to indulge my inner LARPer at MagiQuest, but I refrained.  :)  Since it was a Thursday night, Planet Hollywood was anything but busy and we were able to get a table right away.  The food was good, the environment was fun, and we had a really good time.  We especially enjoyed watching movie previews and music videos while we ate.  For a family that lives to quote movies, Planet Hollywood was the perfect place to have dinner.




After dinner, we headed back to the hotel.  My dad gave me the keys to the rental car and my mom watched Kyle so Cole and I could have a little quiet time together.  We drove around for about 20 minutes, trying to figure out something fun to do.  Since we're wild and crazy, we ended up at the Kroger grocery store, where we laughed at the kitschy souvenirs you could buy, shook our heads at the oddity that is the liquor section (a foreign concept to us Utahns!), and bought two slices of cake to have for our dessert.  We took our cake back to the hotel and enjoyed it on our bed.  I packed as much of our crap as I could to try and save us some time the next morning, and then we went to bed.

We woke up bright and early Friday morning, had breakfast, then crazy packing ensued.  We had just enough time to stop at one of the ubiquitous souvenir shops (this one was called Eagles Beachwear) to purchase any last-minute items.  We headed to the airport, turned in the rental cars, and said our last good-byes to Myrtle Beach and our fun-filled week.

Our flights home were mostly uneventful.  We flew from Myrtle Beach to Detroit, Detroit to Denver, and Denver to good ol' SLC.  It was awesome to see the mountains again.  We were total dorks and kept pointing out silly landmarks... "Look!  There's the Y on the mountain!  Look!  There's I-15!  Wow, I can see our house from here!"  No swelling of the ankles occurred, for which we were all grateful--me because my ankles weren't swollen, and my family because they didn't have to listen to me whine about how my ankles were swollen.  The most eventful thing that happened was Kyle's poopy diaper of epic proportions.  About 20 minutes before we were supposed to land, Kyle, well, he pooped his pants.  Big time.  It pretty much stunk up the whole plane.  Rather than subject our fellow passengers to his rotten stench, I hauled Kyle back to the minuscule bathroom and changed him, which, really, was pretty much a miracle if you think about it.  It's nearly impossible to use a tiny airplane bathroom, let alone change a 2 1/2 year old (and yes, I was severely kicking myself for not potty-training him before this).  Anyway, we landed, got our luggage, and crowded into my dad's rental car (yes, all 9 of us.  Yes, it's a 7-seater van.) for the ride home.  

And thus ended the Kenner Family Vaycay Extravaganza of 2010.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...