10.15.2010

Feminism and Mormonism

I have a lot of things to blog about, but this is something that is fresh on my mind, so it comes first.
I feel sorry for "Mormon feminists."
In my casual perusal of the internet I've stumbled across websites dedicated to "Mormon feminism" and the drive to make the Church more equal along gender lines. I've spent hours reading threads on these websites, and every time I come away with the same conclusion: Satan is working extra hard to convince women that the Church does not value them.
I'm going to go out on a limb and make the assumption that few, if any, women alive now want to be told they are subordinate to men,or that they are less important, inferior, and of less worth simply because of their gender. I'm going to make another assumption that there is little else that would bother a woman more than being told she is inferior because of her gender. Under these assumptions, it's easy to presume that any woman would bristle at being told any of these fallacious things. I certainly would take offense. Now, if Satan can persuade a woman that the gospel is inherently sexist and that she is valued less because she is a woman, thereby persuading her to leave the Church, then he's accomplished something great. Not only will that woman cease to believe, but she will teach her children not to believe, and they will teach their children not to believe, and so on. By convincing one woman to apostatize Satan has effectively wiped out what could have been generations of belief. That makes Satan's job pretty easy, don't you think?
It seems like women who view the Church as "anti-feminist" are trapped in a never-ending cycle: a woman gets the sense that she is seen as inferior or subordinate to men in the Church, she gets angry and frustrated, she begins searching for all the many ways in which she is viewed as subordinate, which makes her MORE angry, she continues to look for more policies or actions or statements that "validate" her anger, and so on and so forth. To me, this cycle displays a lack of trust in the Lord.
It's true that some things in the Church appear to be anti-feminist at first glance. For instance, only the men are called to hold the Priesthood at this time. The Lord chooses whom He chooses to fulfill this calling, and, for now, that calling has been extended to the worthy men of the Church starting at age 12. That could change. I, personally, don't believe He will extend that calling to women simply because if He did, there would be nothing for the men to do. :) All joking aside, I fully believe that the Lord's extension of the Priesthood to men is not an indication that He loves and values men more than He does women. Yes, there are some members of the Church who believe that is true, but if I got offended at everyone who had an opinion that I thought was stupid, I'd spend my entire life angry. I know the truth, and that is what matters to me.
I know that God loves me. I know He knows who I am. I know that He would not, under any circumstances, want me feeling worthless or less important than anyone else. I have the right and privilege, just like any man, to talk to Him and receive the truth from Him by the power of the Holy Ghost. I also trust that He will never advocate any policy or practice that degrades or belittles me as a woman. I concede that the Lord cannot control all of the actions and opinions of the members of His Church, but if I take offense to those, it is no one's fault but my own and it is my responsibility to resolve those issues.
Let the angry comments commence.

6 comments:

Rachelle said...

Right on.

Carl and Steph said...

No anger here. I agree 1000000% Men get to have the priesthood, but women have the power to literally give life. We all fit into the puzzle the way the Lord wants. We cannot all be the same, or be equal. Does a puzzle made of pieces of the same size and shape hold together very well? Mind if I share this on Facebook?

Brittany said...

I must be very sheltered because I've never even HEARD of women being offended by the way our gospel is lead. Ignorance is bliss!

Jana said...

Totally agree!

Devri said...

It seems like people are just looking for reasons to be offended by the Church. Love this post!

Kim said...

You know what I think? Well, maybe you don't, but I'm going to tell you anyway. If the Lord disregarded women there would never be any General Conference talks concerning us. However, nearly every General Conference one of the Apostles stands and praises us and the work that we do, true they encourage us to do better, but it's always surrounded by, "Sisters, we love you, you're awesome," probably because the Lord knows that we're hard enough on ourselves. That, if nothing else, should tell you how the Lord values His daughters. Sorry, getting up on a soapbox for a minute, but I have encountered this view once or twice in my lifetime.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...