6.15.2010

Nope, No Baby...and Vaycay Extravaganza: A Day of Nature

So...sorry I've been a loser blogger...for two weeks. Unfortunately, I don't even have an exciting reason for the lapse.

FYI, I'm still pregnant. Stubbornly so, in fact.

I was seriously hoping (and, actually, genuinely convinced) that this baby was going to come early. I now know never to trust my intuition again (after all, it told me this baby was a girl, which he most definitely is not). As far as any update goes, I told my doctor I REALLY wanted to go into labor by myself but that I would agree to an induction on my due date -- and only because I'm EXTREMELY confident about my due date being fairly accurate (I tracked my date of ovulation and I'm even pretty sure of the date of conception...sorry for the TMI). My desire to not go "over-due" outweighs my desire to go into labor naturally...anyway, I'm penciled in for an induction on June 23rd, which was the closest day to my due date available. I still have a small amount of hope that I'll go into labor before that, but I'm not really holding my breath. I'm pretty sure this child will be just as strong-willed as his older brother.

Anyway, we'll proceed from where I left off in the story that is our fabulous vacation.

Wednesday morning, we chose another unique-to-SC activity: Brookgreen Gardens. It's a ginormous sculpture garden and wildlife preserve built on four former rice plantations. Since it spans nearly 10,000 acres, it was more than enough to fill our day.



Me, Cole, and Kyle in the "Fun-V" (we watched Iron Man several times during the vaycay, and this car came to be known as such -- but fortunately, it didn't get blown up during our trip).


Kyle sitting in the "bike" (pretty much anything with wheels is a bike to him).

The sculpture gardens were chock-full of (go figure) sculptures, and, as a former Art History buff, I was in heaven. Plus, the scenery was absolutely AMAZING. It was like walking through the secret garden but on a colossal scale.


Just one example of the glorious greenery. There were paths winding here, there, and everywhere. It was totally possible to get absolutely lost, and if I had more than a day, I would have. Some of the members of my family were less-than-excited about all of the sculptural nudity, however...


The gardens were also full of beautiful flowers, and Cole had a blast taking pictures of as many of them as he could find. Here are some lovely water lilies.


Here I am, in all my prego glory, standing in a gorgeous arch.

After wandering though the gardens for a while, we hopped on a little river boat and took a tour of the waterways...which gave us the opportunity to see alligators in a more natural setting.


Here's one of the big guys we saw sunning himself along the river.

After the boat ride, we headed over to the "zoo," which was less like your run-of-the-mill, conventional zoo and more like a wildlife preserve. It contained animals native to the area. We started, of course, with the livestock area.


Kyle telling me what a cow says in front of the cow enclosure.


Kyle soon lost interest in riding on the "bike" so Cole decided he needed a ride.


The best part of this picture is Kyle's face in the bottom left-hand corner...priceless.

The "zoo" was really fascinating. They had an entire section of birds of prey, including two absolutely gorgeous bald eagles. We were even lucky enough to be in that section when the zoo worker brought around their food so we got to see them eat.


We were soon all tuckered out from the walking and the heat (because this was the hottest day we had experienced so far), so we headed back to the cars. Kyle's desire for sleep won out over his desire for Cheetos mid-bag, making this picture possible.

We got back to the condo, where I made the best stir-fry in the universe (really, I did) and we crashed hardcore.

The next installment: Iron Man 2, last day at the beach, and b-day at Planet Hollywood.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...