9.10.2009

Ten Reasons Why I Love Camping

10. Snuggling is so much more fun when you do it for warmth.
9. Nobody showers, nobody does their hair, nobody wears makeup, and NOBODY CARES!
8. No TV, no video games, no cell phone service—where else can you completely escape the modern world?
7. Every night is spent sitting around the camp fire, talking about everything and nothing at the same time with the people you love the most.
6. You get to eat lots and lots of s’mores—the best ones are made with toasted coconut marshmallows.
5. You can go to bed WAY after dark, wake up with the sun, and still feel refreshed and energized.
4. The night sky is speckled with millions upon millions of stars not visible under city lights.
3. Food tastes better with a dash of “camping pepper.”
2. Time moves more slowly when you don’t have to worry about a million little things.
1. I feel closer to God when I’m among His creations than I do almost anywhere else.


We got to spend all last weekend up Payson Canyon with my family. I grew up camping, but it always surprises me just how much I love it. We even managed to get all of my brothers and sisters together on Saturday night (quite a rare feat these days). We sat around the campfire all evening and roasted hot dogs and marshmallows. I got completely addicted to s'mores made with toasted coconut marshmallows. Yum.

Kyle had the time of his life! He played in the dirt, threw rocks in Payson Lake, fed some ducks, and got absolutely filthy. He also slept better and ate better than he has in quite a while. There must be something about the mountain air...

I'm so grateful I got to have the chance to spend quiet time in nature. I am continually amazed at the beautiful world Heavenly Father created for us. The reverence and peace I feel when I'm in the mountains are surpassed only by the feelings I experience in the temple. It makes perfect sense why the Lord appeared to the prophets of the scriptures in the tops of the mountains.

Forget five-star resorts; I'll take roughing it in a tent ANY DAY!

7 comments:

Brad and Hailey said...

Mmmm I can almost smell the mountain air! Man do I miss it! Camping sounds fun :)

Parkers said...

Hail Payson Canyon!

Rachelle said...

Amen! Joel and I just went camping. We cheated with a cabin, but it was so nice to be away from many of the modern distractions.

Andrew Jenkins said...

It's been a LONG time since I've been camping. Reading this entry made me really want to go.

Devri said...

Unless you're pregnant....not as much fun, I discovered recently.

Natalie Sadler said...

Props to 10, lol. I LOVE camping! Cabin-ing is great, too, but camping is so relaxing. There's something very wonderful about waking up breathing the mountain air . . . it's so great.

Mikah said...

Jessica, I love your list! Ditto to all of your reasons. I'm really excited to try to cocunut marshmellows... sounds absolutely amazing! Also, your little boy is getting so big! Look like you guys are doing great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...