7.27.2008

I Know How Smokers Feel...

Okay, I'm being a little bit dramatic. Nicotine addiction is SLIGHTLY more extreme than french fry addiction (but only slightly).

Perhaps I should provide more explanation. For as long as I can remember, I have been hopelessly addicted to french fries. It's never been much of an issue before--in high school and in my first few years of college, I was one of those girls who was effortlessly thin. I could eat anything and everything and not think about it twice. Then, I got married. I don't know how my body could tell the difference, but all of the sudden anything and everything I ate went straight to my (insert various body parts here). So, I finally made the painful decision to give up the one food item I crave the most. I've only been fry-free for about two weeks, but I'm proud that I've stuck to my guns. The other day we stopped to get something to eat, and I valiantly passed on the fries. Cole didn't, and he had his fries sitting between us. They were fresh. They were hot. They were absolutely the most divine thing I could ever possibly imagine eating. It was at this point that I realized just how hard it must be for addicts to quit. I mean, I was losing my mind over FRENCH FRIES, which have no inherent addictive qualities whatsoever!

Fortunately, I was able to overcome my animalistic desire by virtue of sheer willpower, and not one french fry crossed my lips. I already feel a little bit thinner.

***AFTERTHOUGHT: I'm reminded of a scene in Freaky Friday (the sorta lame one with Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis) where the daughter (in the mother's body) is eating french fries, and the mother (in the daughter's body) freaks out because of the havoc it will wreak on her (the mother's) body. Then, the mother realizes that because she is in the daughter's body, she can eat the fries with no consequence, and she says "I haven't eaten a french fry in 8 years." I hope I have willpower like that.

***UPDATE*** I totally fell off the wagon yesterday. I was doing really well, but my mom, my sister, and I went to Five Guys Burgers and Fries yesterday, and I had a few more fries than I would have liked. THEN, Cole and I took Adam to Texas Roadhouse for dinner, and Cole decided to order cheese fries. Yikes.

2 comments:

Jay and Natalie said...

Good for you! I have the exact same problem with . . . well, pretty much anything with sugar. Cake, cookies, pie, candy--they're all good! I gave up all these things for only 13 days and I lost 5 pounds! Given, a lot of it was water because simple carbs hold a lot more water, but I had so much more energy and after those 13 days, I didn't want sugar like I used to anymore.

That has since changed, however . . . I plan on doing it again, but hopefully for a longer period of time.

You can do it, Jess. You pushed out a 9 pound baby--you can do anything!

kaseygrey said...

Although, I will admit, of all the fries to give in to, the fries from Five Guys are totally worth it. YUM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...